Joseph is a Speech-Language Pathologist and Fluency Specialist. He holds a Master of Science degree in Clinical Speech and Language Studies from Trinity College, University of Dublin and a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Sheffield. Dr Agius has an extensive background in training, lecturing, evaluation, facilitation and program management. Principal of the Speech Language Department and employed by the Health Division, Government of Malta, he is co-responsible for the management, assessment and treatment services of communication disorders in Malta and Gozo. He lectures at the University of Malta on ‘Fluency Disorders' and ‘Language and Psychiatry'. He is also author of the iOS application 'Fluency SIS- Smart Intervention Strategy' for school age children who stutter.
- Speech Language Centre, Luqa, Malta
- 2003 - 2007 Doctor in Education
Thesis Title: “Un-cemented words” – School age children who stutter: Feelings and attitudes following a thinking skills programme
Supervisors: Prof. Jerry Wellington and Dr. Shelagh Brumfitt
University of Sheffield, UK
- 1993 - 1995
Master of Science Degree
Thesis Title: Language Analysis of Bilingual Maltese-English Stuttering Children.
Supervisor: Dr. Marie de Montfort
Trinity College, University of Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- 1986 - 1990
Bachelor of Arts
Communication Studies, Psychology and Linguistics
University of Malta, Msida, Malta
- 1978 - 1981
Diploma in Speech Pathology and Therapeutics
Speech Pathology and Therapeutics, Psychology and Psychiatry,
Neurology, Anatomy and Physiology, Linguistics and Phonetics
Ministry of Health, Malta funded by the Overseas Development Aid, UK
- AGIUS, J. (2023) Book Review: Clinical Cases in Dysfluency, K. Eggers & M.M. Leahy (Eds.) Taylor and Francis, London (2022) Reference JFD_106013. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 78 (2023) 106013.
- AGIUS, J. (2023) Chapter 16: Creativity and Humor- The fun of building confidence in children and adults who stutter. In: Dialogue without barriers: A Comprehensive Approach to Dealing with Stuttering. Editors: Hilda Sønsterud & Katarzyna Węsierska, Publisher: Agere Aude Foundation for Knowledge and Social Dialogue, Poland.
- AGIUS, J. (2021) Chapter 20: Kreatywność i humor. Radość budowania poczucia pewności siebie u jąkających się dzieci i dorosłych. In: Dialogue without barriers: Stuttering management for children and adults (in Polish: Dialog bez barier – terapia utrwalonego jąkania): Editors: Hilda Sønsterud & Katarzyna Węsierska, Publisher: Agere Aude Foundation for knowledge and Social Dialogue, Poland.
- AGIUS J., Grech H., Mitrenga B., Plusajska-Otto A., Przklenk J., Sujkowska Sobisz K., Wyrwas K., (2021) How to communicate in the digital era? Basics of good offline communication. Edited by: Malgorzata Grzonka, Katarzyna Sujkowska-Sobisz and Kinga Wasinska. The publication was created as part of the project Be-com Between interaction and innovation- creating a communication space in the digital world (number: 2019-1-PL0`-KA203- 065691). University of Silesia in Katowice, the University of Malta and educators from the Foundation of Knowledge and Social Dialogue Agere Aude.
- Levey, S., & AGIUS, J. (2019). Humor Processing: The Factors that Play a Role in Understanding Humor. Forum Lingwistyczne. 6, 2019, pp. 159-167.
- AGIUS, J. & Levey, S. (2019) Humour and Autism Spectrum Disorders. The Malta Journal of Health Sciences. 6 (1), pp. 22-28.
- AGIUS, J. (2019) La Vita è Bella and Stuttering: Would Dottor Benigni be amused? In: Donatella Tomaiuoli (Ed.) Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Stuttering. (pp. 184-190). Edizioni Centro Studi Erickson S.p.A., Trento, Italy.
- AGIUS, J. & Levey, S. (2019) Humor Intervention Approaches for Children, Adolescents and Adults. The Israeli Journal of Humor Research, April 2019, Vol. 8, No. 1. 8-28.
- AGIUS, J. (2018) Shifting perceptions: Using creativity and humour in fluency intervention. Forum Logopedyczne. 26, 49-61.
- Vella, S., AGIUS, J., & St. Louis, K.O. (2016) Employees’ Attitudes toward Stuttering in Malta. In: Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Fluency Disorders: Lisbon, Portugal, 6-8 July, 2015.
- AGIUS, J. (2015) Fluency FIS: Smart Intervention Strategy. Procedia- Social and Behavioural Sciences. 193, 7-12.
- Leahy, M.M., AGIUS, J., De Nil, L., Eggers, K., & Hylebos, C. (2014) The European Clinical Specialization on Fluency Disorders: Participants review of the first four years. Perspectives on Fluency and Fluency Disorders. 24, 26-32.
- AGIUS, J. (2012) The ‘Smart Intervention Strategy’ for School Age Children who Stutter. Themanummer Logopedie: Special Issue Speech Fluency, (4) July-August, 2012.
- AGIUS, J. (2011) Working with Children who Stutter: Dealing with Attitudes (Ours and Theirs!). In: M. Gacnik and M. Stirle (Eds.), Conference Proceedings and posters’ and workshops’ abstracts: 3rd Congress of Slovenian Logopedists with international participation: Portorož, Slovenja, November 10-12 (p. 224). Društvo Logopedov Slovenije, Maribor.
- AGIUS, J. (2011) Early Intervention in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Where do we fit in this puzzle? In: M. Gačnik and M. Stirle (Eds.), Conference Proceedings and posters’ and workshops’ abstracts: 3rd Congress of Slovenian Logopedists with international participation: Portorož, Slovenja, November 10-12 (pp. 25-27). Društvo Logopedov Slovenije, Maribor.
- AGIUS, J. (2009) School-Age Children who Stutter: Attitude changes following a Thinking Skills Programme. Journal of Stuttering Therapy, Advocacy and Research.
- AGIUS, J. (1995) Language Analysis of a bilingual Maltese-English stuttering child. In: H.W. Peters, (Eds.), Stuttering: Proceedings of the First World Congress on Fluency Disorders: Munich, Germany, August 8-11 (pp. 175- 178). The Netherlands: University Press Nijmegen.
- iOS Application: AGIUS, J. (2013) Application: Fluency: Smart Intervention Strategy. Category: Education, Language: English, Developer: Vioside, Requirements: Compatible with iPad. National Award Best Content for Kids - 2013. Advising Expert of the European Thematic Network POSCON- Positive Online Content and Services to Children in Europe.